Trigger warning:

This site may, in fact always will contain images and information likely to cause consternation, conniptions, distress, along with moderate to severe bedwetting among statists, wimps, wusses, politicians, lefties, green fascists, and creatures of the state who can't bear the thought of anything that disagrees with their jaded view of the world.

Apr 28, 2012

Why Rudd is still in contention.

I always voted at my party's call, 
And I never thought of thinking for myself at all. – ‘Sir Joseph Porter, K. C. B.’ HMS Pinafore.
Cartoon: By Pickering.

Some time ago one of the overseas readers of this site wrote a comment asking why it was that with the declining popularity of Labor and the total lack of credibility of the Prime Minister, that there was a likelihood of Kevin Rudd being reinstated. The reality is that the Labor Party has a distinct lack of talent.

It is worth remembering that prior to the ‘reverse leadership coup’ in February where Rudd was effectively forced to challenge against overwhelming odds, his Department of Foreign Affairs was the only effective one in the government.

The only other likely figures being touted are Simon Crean, Stephen Smith, and the most prominent possibility, Bill Shorten. None of them have been impressive and all are closely associated with the PM and her disastrous decisions. Shorten has just made a complete idiot of himself by supporting a statement by Gillard that he had not heard:

Interviewer: Do you think he [Peter Slipper] should return to the speakers chair while the civil claims are still being played out?

Shorten: I understand that the Prime Minister has addressed this in a press conference in Turkey in the last few hours. I haven’t seen what she said, but let me say, I support what she said.

Interviewer: Hang on, you haven’t seen what she said …

Shorten: But I support what my Prime Minister has said.

Interviewer: Well, what’s your view?

Shorten: Well, my view is what the Prime Minister’s view is.

Interviewer: Surely you must have your own view on this Bill Shorten?

Shorten: No, when you ask if I have a view on this that is such a general question it invites me to go to …

Shorten: …. But I support what my Prime minister has said.

Interviewer: But you don’t know what that is?

Shorten: I’m sure she is right.

Interviewer: But you won’t make up your own mind until you see what your prime …

Shorten: I’m a minister in the government and I support our Prime Minister full stop.
Perhaps the quote from HMS Pinafore should be replaced with one from “Paint your wagon”:

Where am I heading, I don’t know;
When shall I get there, I aint certain;
All that I know is I am on my way. …

No comments:

Post a Comment